Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hot Off The Box!

A soapbox is a raised platform on which one stands to make an impromptu speech, often about a political subject. The term originates from the days when speakers would elevate themselves by standing on a wooden crate originally used for shipment of soap or other dry goods from a manufacturer to a retail store. The term is also used metaphorically to describe a person engaging in often flamboyant impromptu or unofficial public speaking, as in the phrases "He's on his soapbox", or "Get off your damn soapbox." Hyde Park, London is known for its Sunday soapbox orators, who have assembled at Speakers' Corner since 1872 to discuss religion, politics and other topics. A modern form of the soapbox is a blog.
I visited Hyde Park last summer and found I was a woman of one because I went on a Saturday. As you might well surmise, I stood boldly on my box and spewed my views of London’s BP Oil conglomerate because that was the spark in my coals that day. My new pal, I’ll call her BTTSS (Best Thing in Texas Since Salt) a feisty stick of dynamite with the same explosive mama bear roar as you and I, emailed me from her soapbox this morning and with her permission I share it with you all…
I wrote a long epistle, tagged it onto the Sierra Club action statement that I just sent you, and sent it to my two senators...(conservative to the core, but hey, you got to try!) about rerouting the $36 billion in next year's budget that has been designated for building new nuclear plants (ug) to instead take that same amount of money and thoroughly examine the 104 nuclear plants in the US (did you know we have more than any other country in the world??) Then, if these unbiased, non affiliated with industry, scientists find weaknesses or structurally outdated equipment, risky storage facilities, etc., to take the $36 billion and correct these existing sites, so that we can have some mental and spiritual peace in our country, and don't create little genetic offspring that are irreparably damaged. Plus, we really need to remove any potential exposure for existing children and grandchildren and fertile or pregnant women...these are the ones who would suffer the most if one of our plants goes into nuclear meltdown.

I haven't checked the news today (stayed up very late last night, listening to every word). I so admire Germany and the EU countries for taking the lead in being cautious and examining their own nuclear reactors. Why are we so Neanderthal about this...so beholden to corporate America and the wheeler-dealer politicians with their hands in the nuclear industry lobby's till. We are going to bring ourselves down if we keep up this crap....plus the growing disparity between the rich and poor in this country, slashing care for the mentally-ill and education funding, the bitching about providing health care to all (who in the hell do people think now fund our poorest citizens? we do, of course, through costly trips to the emergency room.) Why don't the repubs get it? OK, off soapbox.
Oh, Barb, don’t get down yet, cuz I’m just now climbing up there with you. I'm about ready to explode right here in my carport. I'm so hot I could set fire to my nonflammable vinyl skirting. Why the hell when our nation speaks about over-spending on this and over-spending on that, and government waste, and "give aways" to the poor, and bad teachers that need cutting which ultimately saves money, and so on and so on and scooby-dooby-doo...Why the hell do they fail to mention items of gigantic bucks like the 36 BILLION already set aside for building more nuclear plants? But, hey, it's 2011. We constantly hear buzz words like "green" "hybrid" "Eco-friendly" “wind and solar” on a daily basis now and we think, "Oh man, our government is both progressive and innovative; readily exploring all ways to provide us, the American people and the children of the world, with healthy safe and sustainable energy, while still caring with such loving green arms for our earth. Such a governing body of tree hugging, green humanitarian Martians reside in D.C. and the world need not worry.”
Well, as Barbara might say, "YANKEE BRAINS!" (that's Texas talk for
horseshit for those of you who've only dreamed of living in Texas or a trailer park.)

Enough is enough people! Let’s make some long distance ‘shout-outs’, a RingyDingy or two to our Commander in Chief at The White House! Let’s also take action via Credo and sign the petition. If not now, then when?

--This is tpg, standing tall beside my pal Barbara, from our wooden (harvested from a sustainable forest) soapbox crate…

No comments:

Post a Comment