Thursday, May 2, 2013

Happy Birthday Girls!


                                                               This kid rocks my world.


This one also.


  
Sweet Pea reminds me of all things raw and spontaneous that exist in the universe.
She's headstrong, yes, and determined; a "spur-of-the-moment" kid.
But she can also be so tender.
She loves flower petals, basketballs and dangerous appliance wires; not necessarily
in that order.
And she loves, no adores, her cousin, much to her cousin's dismay.


"Numero Uno, Amigos!"
  And guess who turned one last week?









"Look out world! I'm two!"



And guess who turned two?
It's birthday madness around here and we've got the energy to prove it!  Presents! Balloons! Singing! Sugar-hangovers!  It's all double intensity with the girls' birthdays only a few days apart.

I picked a bad week to give up coffee.  If fact, I  was clean of the stuff I call "God's beverage" for approximately 72 hours, then I arrived at The Cousin's pad and broke down.
I made myself a cup; one in which the color was that perfect caramel brown.
Those tea drinking, self-righteous-hippie-bastards, who profess to be living a good, healthy life drinking pints of green, white and black tea on a daily basis, do not have a one-year old and a two-year old in their care.  I'm back on tea this morning; tea and this roasted grain crap.
I wonder how long it will take until my partner kicks my cranky ass out of the house.  It's all a test for me. Is coffee what's affecting my stomach or is it all the other delicious toxins God created? Could be stress, says my doc, or a combo of several things that "women your age" get...
I'm thinking I could give it up for 6 days a week and then drink one cup every Wednesday, in order to be alert for my nanny assignment.  But, I'm not a very disciplined girl, never have been and I don't do much in moderation. Lesson not-yet learned.

So Bal-La-Lee partied with these girls like it was 1999, and let me tell you, they can party!
We started with a little chalk art; a personal favorite of The Cousin's ever since she met her neighbor buddy, Miles.


Then Sweet Pea took it upon herself to sample an appetizer.

"Yuck. Send this chalk back to the chef."
Next, it's run run run with the birthday balloon until it pops...which caused major grief that needed immediate consoling.
Happy moments before the Big Bang

Life is like that though.  One minute, you experience the thrill of running freely under a sun-drenched sky, green balloon in your hand and not a care in the world...
And then the next minute, you trip up or your special balloon suddenly pops, and life becomes one depressing shit hole in the blink of an eye.
It's times like these that we head to the "you-know-what."

"Dora the Explorer got nothing on me."


"I'm not saying Cheese"


Somehow the park takes all our blues away; melts every last one of them like sticks of butter in the noonday sun.  
Life suddenly returns to  "happy" and little women (and the big ones too) get very,very tuckered; 
which is always nice.



Sweet Pea defines her own nap time.  It is she and she alone that determines the exact amount of allotted minutes. When she's ready to rise, she's ready to rise.  The Cousin, on the other hand, slept 2.5 hours which set a beautiful record!
I sat Sweet Pea down for her afternoon snack.  Oh, did I mention?  She also determines how she will sit in a highchair.

"What exactly do you mean I can't sit like this?"

I dig her tenacity.  It's like a bulldog. Reminds me of so many persistent women I know and have known; all of which embody this incredible amount of strength and tireless determination.  
Hope she never loses it...
~tpg


1 comment:

  1. I think Sweet Pea is an exact copy of you...that leg casually slung over the high chair is so funny. Appropriate for a gal with her own ideas on how to do things...like her Nanny. And your coffee abstinence? Your rant about those smug, self-righteous, finger-pointing, with-it tea sippers was perfect. Caring for two kids, age one and two takes more than green tea, for sure. And did you really get to nap for a minute when the two were asleep...I know that feeling.... nirvana! I so thoroughly enjoyed this blog...and glad you have today to soak up a few rays!! Till next week...

    ReplyDelete